Cultivator Insurance – What You Need To Know

Aug 15, 2021 | Cannabis Insurance, Featured

Do you understand the general requirements for a cannabis cultivator’s license in most states?

A cannabis business needs a minimum Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance policy of $2 million, with insurance of up to $1 million for each loss. GCL policies typically cover you and your business for claims that happen as a result of normal operations.

Most states also require a surety bond that should be addressed to the state. 

If you have employees, your business is required to have Workers Compensation (WC) insurance. WC coverage can provide wage replacement and medical benefits to your employees injured on the job.  In certain California cities, WC should cover $1 million per accident.

Lastly, even though it is not required, we highly recommend securing Product Liability (PL) insurance if you sell, make, or distribute products.  If your product allegedly hurts someone or damages their property, this coverage will help pay your legal fees, judgement or settlement.

Again, these are general requirements.  We encourage you to learn more about specific requirements from the Insurance commissioner for your state. 
Minimize your risk by getting proper coverage.  Visit for a free no-obligation quote for your cannabis business insurance needs.